I got this lovely recipe from Jaya .v. Shenoy's book which I had brought from India last year, this book has got such a lovely collection of traditional Konkani recipes that I simply love it. So here is yet another amazing breakfast recipe which I tried and loved it..Just too good to have it spicy and hot..Yum...Serve with either Spicy coriander chutney or Khara/ Spicy Boondi.
3small brinjal (Cut into cubes)
1 Cup Semolina (I have used a little coarse variety)
1 tbsp ghee
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp haldi / turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp urad dal
1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
5 Dry red chili ( I used Kashmiri whole red chilies)
1 tsp chana dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp oil +2 Tbsp
2 cups water
2 tbsp grated coconut (For garnish)
1 tsp chopped coriander leaves (for garnish)
- Take a pan add ghee and add semolina and roast it till nice aroma, and keep aside.
- Take a small pan add oil add 4 red chillies, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, pepper, cloves, haldi (tumeric powder) fry well till it gives out nice aroma then switch off the gas. Cool and grind them to a fine powder.
- In kadai add 2tbsp oil then add 1 broken red chilli, mustard seeds, then add urad dal and chana dal and fry well till dals change color and mustard seeds began to pop then add the brinjal pieces, salt and buttermilk and fry till brinjal gets cooked add powdered masala and fry till it leaves out oil .
- Then add 2 cups water and bring it to a boil. Now add semolina and mix , you will notice that it will thicken very fast then mix and switch off the gas
- Garnish with coriander leaves and grated coconut . Serve Hot.